Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dreamcast Katana SDK r11b

+2
DoctorN
þ§éüÐø·þrø×éñ
6 posters

Go down

Dreamcast Katana SDK r11b Empty Dreamcast Katana SDK r11b

Post  þ§éüÐø·þrø×éñ Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:16 pm

Dreamcast Katana SDK r11b Dreamcastik5

Software Development Kit, release 11b. As the name obviously implies, its used to develop software for the Dreamcast.

Note as well that the copyrights are still valid, but as well Sega Headquarters knows of its distribution through the web, p2p, and news feeds. So Sega dosn't really think of it as a real threat since Dev Units are scarce.

Download (MegaUpload)

Code:
Password: PseudoProxen
þ§éüÐø·þrø×éñ
þ§éüÐø·þrø×éñ

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-04-24

Back to top Go down

Dreamcast Katana SDK r11b Empty Re: Dreamcast Katana SDK r11b

Post  DoctorN Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:23 pm

you need a sdk dreamcast though :S

DoctorN

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2010-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:26 pm

It has some tools you can use on a PC as well.
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DoctorN Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:55 pm

like solely pc? so i dont need any fancy cables? im thinking of trying to take the pso engine and make it something else.

DoctorN

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:59 pm

The Photoshop PVR plugin is nice since it can actually save formats correctly. The ADX tools are too, although I had those already without realizing they were official. xD
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Moopthehedgehog Sat May 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Necrobump, go!

Does anyone know if this SDK supports the BBA at all?
Moopthehedgehog
Moopthehedgehog
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 681
Registration date : 2009-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Sat May 21, 2011 1:31 pm

Considering it's official, how could it not?
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueCrab Sat May 21, 2011 5:45 pm

I think that only the last few releases of the Katana SDK had any support for the BBA, if I'm not mistaken. Not that it matters much.

Most homebrewers stay far away from Katana. Not that Sega is bound to go after people for using it, but it is still illegal to use without a license. That, and KOS supports pretty much anything that Katana did anyway. KOS also has the upside of being maintained actively, and having a bunch of libraries ported to it that are useful. Oh, and the large amount of code out there that uses KOS helps out in learning things too (and people to help out). Wink

Disclaimer: I'm one of the maintainers of KOS (the main one doing anything at this point, for the most part), so this post may seem a bit biased. However, everything I've said should objectively check out if you actually look at the state of things.

BlueCrab
Power Member
Power Member

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-01-03

http://sylverant.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Sat May 21, 2011 9:18 pm

How many Katana SDKs were there? I'm not sure anybody has actually used them to make any software, although I guess they've gotten released by those people who have sold their development Dreamcast units without wiping the hard drives first.
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hayame Sat May 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Sometimes, Third party would be the right way to go.
Funny how I was going to ask about royalties, but then I realize that it would be a stupid question, oh me..
hayame
hayame
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2009-12-17

http://www.urbanterror.net

Back to top Go down

Post  DoctorN Sat May 21, 2011 11:41 pm

you just asked it though

DoctorN

Back to top Go down

Post  Moopthehedgehog Sun May 22, 2011 7:27 am

BlueCrab wrote:Most homebrewers stay far away from Katana. Not that Sega is bound to go after people for using it, but it is still illegal to use without a license. That, and KOS supports pretty much anything that Katana did anyway. KOS also has the upside of being maintained actively, and having a bunch of libraries ported to it that are useful. Oh, and the large amount of code out there that uses KOS helps out in learning things too (and people to help out). Wink
Would it be illegal to use it if it were already preloaded on a purchased SDK (from, say, eBay or somewhere like that)?
Moopthehedgehog
Moopthehedgehog
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 681
Registration date : 2009-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueCrab Sun May 22, 2011 10:37 am

Moopthehedgehog wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Most homebrewers stay far away from Katana. Not that Sega is bound to go after people for using it, but it is still illegal to use without a license. That, and KOS supports pretty much anything that Katana did anyway. KOS also has the upside of being maintained actively, and having a bunch of libraries ported to it that are useful. Oh, and the large amount of code out there that uses KOS helps out in learning things too (and people to help out). Wink
Would it be illegal to use it if it were already preloaded on a purchased SDK (from, say, eBay or somewhere like that)?
Unless you have personally negotiated a license with Sega to use the SDK, it is illegal to use by its license. Also, the SDK does not generally get loaded on the devkit itself anyway, as its essentially a bunch of tools for Windows anyway.

BlueCrab
Power Member
Power Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hayame Sun May 22, 2011 11:35 am

BlueCrab wrote:
Moopthehedgehog wrote:
Unless you have personally negotiated a license with Sega to use the SDK, it is illegal to use by its license. Also, the SDK does not generally get loaded on the devkit itself anyway, as its essentially a bunch of tools for Windows anyway.

So if you actually could develop legally, would royalties still apply? I always wondered about the HTK-0120 bios and what was up with it. (I don't know what it is with me and royalties.)

hayame
hayame
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2009-12-17

http://www.urbanterror.net

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueCrab Sun May 22, 2011 1:47 pm

hayame wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
Moopthehedgehog wrote:

So if you actually could develop legally, would royalties still apply? I always wondered about the HTK-0120 bios and what was up with it. (I don't know what it is with me and royalties.)

If you had a license, the royalties required and other such fees would be a part of the terms, in all likelihood. So yes, you probably would still need to pay some sort of royalties to Sega.

That said, I can tell you that Sega probably isn't giving out licenses for Katana anymore, and hasn't for a while now. So, there's no way to actually legally use it anymore.

Note, you can have a devkit (HKT-0120) without paying any license fees for the SDK -- having one doesn't imply that you have the other (you still can't use the SDK without a license, even if you have a devkit). Granted, there's not much you can do with it without the SDK.

BlueCrab
Power Member
Power Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DoctorN Sun May 22, 2011 3:48 pm

im sure they could care less nowadays

DoctorN

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueCrab Sun May 22, 2011 4:31 pm

DoctorN wrote:im sure they could care less nowadays
That doesn't make it any less illegal. Most of the homebrew sites I've been a part of won't touch Katana/WinCE stuff with a 10ft pole. There's really no reason to use it, since as I've said KOS supports pretty much everything.

BlueCrab
Power Member
Power Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Sun May 22, 2011 4:52 pm

The point of the SDK isn't really for developing Dreamcast software anymore as much as for the stand-alone tools it contains for manipulating things like ADX and PVR files. None of the third-party tools are as capable as the original ones, sadly.
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down