Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deleted

4 posters

Go down

Deleted Empty Deleted

Post  aaron_yume Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Deleted

Last edited by aaron_yume on Thu May 17, 2012 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

aaron_yume

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Deleted Empty Re: Deleted

Post  Aleron Ives Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:54 am

You got that by pressing Enter in the middle of the lobby?
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MuCast Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:41 am

aaron_yume wrote:Deleted Dm7m21

I don't think this is supposed to happen is it?

I don't know but that level looks like its a pretty gg.
MuCast
MuCast
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 760
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  aaron_yume Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Deleted

Last edited by aaron_yume on Thu May 17, 2012 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

aaron_yume

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:49 pm

There's no way to tell. It could be lag, or it could be a problem with the skin you're using, if it altered more than just the textures used in the lobby. I am not aware of any lag-related phenomena which could allow you to have the team window up while you're walking around, as the counter prevents you from moving or cancelling the request until the list gets displayed.
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aaron_yume Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:38 pm

Deleted

Last edited by aaron_yume on Thu May 17, 2012 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

aaron_yume

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:22 pm

I said:
Aleron Ives wrote:it could be a problem with the skin you're using, if it altered more than just the textures used in the lobby
Being able to open the menu away from the counter could happen if the counter object in the lobby data file was moved or copied to another location.
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Deleted Empty Lobby Menu Problem

Post  aaron_yume Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Deleted

aaron_yume

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:04 am

Yes, I misunderstood your post. You were saying that the MOTD window came up while you were trying to view the lobby menu. The MOTD is designed to display as soon as the server detects your position packet saying you are in the lobby, so it didn't display until later because you were lagging and didn't send that packet until you were already at the counter and sending the packet to receive the list of teams. SCHTServ has similar problems all the time, because the MOTD is bugged there and doesn't show up until more than 10 seconds after you enter the lobby most of the time. Usually it just breaks your ability to use the lobby menu, and it forces you to do a soft reset, unless you have a controller. I've never seen the problem let you walk around with the lobby menu.
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aaron_yume Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Deleted

aaron_yume

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 pm

The split function on this forum sucks ass, too. I had to AdBlock all of the image hosting sites, because it loads the entire topic to let you select posts, and I couldn't get the stupid thing to load 40 pages of images to get to the recent posts until I disabled all the pictures. -_-

I don't really see how it is possible to be selecting a team to join at the same time as the MOTD pops up, because you can't select a team to join until you receive the list, and you can't receive the list unless you're not lagging. If you're lag-free enough to receive the list of teams, you're also going to receive the MOTD before you can select one. I think you got some sort of freak accident that would be pretty hard to reproduce. There's also no way I can think of that causing the bug would kill the teams already in progress, because unhandled errors will cause the ship to core dump. If that had happened, you would have been disconnected, too.
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueCrab Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:57 am

Here's how the MOTD stuff works on Sylverant:

1. You select a block to join, which sends a bunch of packets (login negotiation with the block, etc), including your character data (and other stuff afterwards, like your position and such).
  2. Upon getting your character data, if the ship has a MOTD, it sends a ping packet to the client.
  3. Upon receiving the ping packet, the client enqueues a ping to reply to the server (this goes after all the other packets that it has enqueued at this point).
  4. When the server receives this ping, it sends the MOTD in a large message box packet.

There isn't any way you should ever be able to get the actual game list to show up before the MOTD. The menu to pick what option you want, maybe (since that's all client side anyway), but you shouldn't be able to get the populated game list to show up first. Since everything uses TCP, there's a strict ordering to the packets. The server will have to process your character data packet before it can get around to giving you the menu. If for some reason you could manage to make that happen (that it gives you the list of games first which would mean your client would have to get to the point where it requests the list of teams before the server ever sees your character data packet), it should still never get to the point that you can actually select one of those games before the MOTD pops up (once again, strict ordering of packets). You would have had to have sent and received several sets of packets before you can join a game, hence why it shouldn't be possible to join a game before the MOTD pops up.

Unfortunately, because of the way the large message boxes don't send a message box closed packet on the Dreamcast version, there's no way to know when people have finished seeing the MOTD. If there was such a packet sent on the Dreamcast version, this would be much easier (simply don't pay attention to the client's packets until the MOTD is closed). Of course, the versions that do send a message box closed packet can't show one of those message boxes once you join a lobby, or you'll crash... Rolling Eyes

BlueCrab
Power Member
Power Member

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-01-03

http://sylverant.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down