Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi Guys! Old Fan Needs SERIOUS Help!!

4 posters

Go down

Hi Guys! Old Fan Needs SERIOUS Help!! Empty Hi Guys! Old Fan Needs SERIOUS Help!!

Post  Aydan Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Hey guys I've played on a private server which was quite fun for me and 3 close friends but the connection issue is a little annoying at times and I'm curious. Is there ANY way I can host my own server to play with friends? Just a simple server program I can host where my friends can make accounts and log in to play with me? It's quite a confusing thing and since other website such as Ultima PSO BB have their own server it must be possible, heck even if I make my own small server with a website would be cool but is there ANY way I can do this simply using PSOv2 PC?

Aydan

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-08-02

Back to top Go down

Hi Guys! Old Fan Needs SERIOUS Help!! Empty Re: Hi Guys! Old Fan Needs SERIOUS Help!!

Post  BlueCrab Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:07 pm

In general, you have basically two legal options at this point for something that supports PSOPC if you're insistent on trying to host your own server:
1) Use schthack's PPSOS
2) Use Sylverant

While the first option is probably much easier to set up, especially for someone who knows nothing about running servers and the like, it is completely unmaintained at this point. That means, any bugs you find will never be fixed and you'll just have to live with them.

The second option means you'll be running the same server software we use here. However, I (the guy writing the server) am adamantly against people running little tiny servers, as that only serves to fragment the community. Essentially, I won't go out of my way to support people when things go wrong if they're creating little tiny shipgates, since this is counter to the aim of the Sylverant project in general. That's not to say I'd ignore bug reports and the like. I hope you understand my position on this, as its the same position that I've taken since the beginning of the project.

Personally, my suggestion would be to try playing here on the main Sylverant server. We have ships in more than one place in the world, so there's the potential for lag to not be an issue. Also, we tend to have fairly low lag in general on the ships (at least those hosted on the main server, namely Iselia and Altimira), and have many people from various parts of the world playing together here (US, Europe, Japan, Brazil, etc).

Running a PSO server is quite a bit of work, and isn't really for the faint of heart. Especially when you combine that with maintaining the software (as I have to do). In most cases, if you're just trying to set something up for you and a few friends, its a lot more work than its worth; especially when there are various options already out there that have pretty low lag.

BlueCrab
Power Member
Power Member

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-01-03

http://sylverant.net/

Back to top Go down

Hi Guys! Old Fan Needs SERIOUS Help!! Empty Re: Hi Guys! Old Fan Needs SERIOUS Help!!

Post  Aydan Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Yeah thats a valid point, to be honest though all I want to do is host it for me and 3 other friends who live by each other so we can play online together. We have tried other private servers but we are always plagued with damn internet connection issues while mid way through a long quest. We don't get these issues of connection in other games though.

What's the best and easiest way for me to simply host a server and get my 3 friends to connect? I hope you won't mind sharing some info, I honestly have zero intention of running a serious server for many players this is for me and my friends to simply play through the story quests of episode 1/2 and nothing more. ANY help even a simple guide would be so appreciated. I understand how annoying I probably am but this is a genuine plea of help for some very old fans to play again for old times sake. Thanks so much for your time.

Aydan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aydan Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Also if its any easier having commands and GM things and anti hacks do not matter at all since the general idea is to be kinda like left 4 dead, host my own lobby for 3 other firneds to join and we play the game online as it was originally intended. Sorry for a double post I just wanted to add this in just in case itm akes things easier.

Aydan

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueCrab Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:37 pm

Aydan wrote:Yeah thats a valid point, to be honest though all I want to do is host it for me and 3 other friends who live by each other so we can play online together. We have tried other private servers but we are always plagued with damn internet connection issues while mid way through a long quest. We don't get these issues of connection in other games though.
Have you tried here on Sylverant? As I said, in general there's very little lag when connecting to the ships hosted on the main server: Iselia and Altimira. I can't speak for the other ship Vega, as I do most of my testing on Iselia, Altimira, and my test ship Palmacosta.

What's the best and easiest way for me to simply host a server and get my 3 friends to connect? I hope you won't mind sharing some info, I honestly have zero intention of running a serious server for many players this is for me and my friends to simply play through the story quests of episode 1/2 and nothing more. ANY help even a simple guide would be so appreciated. I understand how annoying I probably am but this is a genuine plea of help for some very old fans to play again for old times sake. Thanks so much for your time.
PSOPC does not have episode 2 at all, so you won't find any server that will let you play the episode 2 story quests on it. Wink

I hope you're not confusing PSOPC with PSO Blue Burst (which does have Episode 2 and Episode 4). They're two very different beasts, and would require two very different server setups. For one, the only server that's "legally" available for PSOBB (that will actually allow you to play quests and such) is Tethealla. I don't remember it as being particularly hard to set up, but I haven't tried to use it for quite a while (actually, over 2 years now).

If you're actually looking for a PSOPC server and you're looking for something easy to set up, then you should probably go with schthack's PPSOS. I can't really give any more information than that, as I haven't tried to use it in an even longer period of time than Tethealla. Laughing

BlueCrab
Power Member
Power Member

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-01-03

http://sylverant.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Aydan Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Ahh I see I assumed PSO PC had episode 2 in there along with episode 1, kinda like the gamecube release. Still I like the original first PSO/EP1 anyway. Thanks for the help though it's a shame that setting up a simple onlin 4 player game has to be difficult since from what I gathered player data is saved to your own pc so it would have been great if somehow you could simply run a small server program, give peopel the ip to connect to with their characters and go exploring together. Ah well I'll have a look around and perhaps even try your servers out too Smile

Again thanks for at least responding and understanding.

Aydan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Episode II doesn't even have any story quests, except Seat of the Heart. Also, story quests can only be played when you're alone (i.e. offline), so you can't play them with friends, anyway. If your friends aren't actually playing at your physical house with you all on the same LAN, then setting up your own server is more trouble than it's worth, especially since you can't bypass connection problems unless you're in a LAN environment.
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Little Vamp Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:18 am

I tried the PPSOS server for a long time, its pretty easy to setup but has some bugs and may break during play. It's in no way as good maintained and "finished" like the sylverant project which is really stable and allways up to date.

Connecting to Sylverant using PSO-PC is as easy as eating pie, using the DC with a BBA is just as more difficult as putting some cream on top of your pie.

I would really suggest you connect to sylverant.
T tried out the schthack online server (schtserv.com) before which was not that stable and felt laggy, my own server was a bit laggy too as it was no high end server", especially when i ran pso pc on it too.

Sylverant has all the needed server power and (sadly) just a low population which makes playing fast and stable.
I only remeber one day i had lags: 4 Players, Germany, Japan, UK, Brazil, room full of enemies, forces going crazy.... So you can be sure to have a reliable server.

If you want to be on your own, just make a passworded team but others will be happy to meet you all for some nice rounds.

have a look on psopalace.sylverant.net for all you need for pso-pc or ask ives if you miss files.
Little Vamp
Little Vamp

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-01-29

http://dcarena.de

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down