This still happens?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This still happens?

Post  Nico0020 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:29 am

Fucking really?

Started playing again for the first time in ages. I played with a nice player through Forest and Mines in ULT. Went back to the lobby. and a damn "- - -" v1 player changes my character to LVL 200 fat humar. I didn't loose any items, but I'll have to codebreaker my character back to its lvl, class and whatnot. Seriously, there were only like 5 people online, why bother mess with people on DC/PC pso anymore?
Nico0020

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-05-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This still happens?

Post  Aleron Ives on Sat May 09, 2015 1:51 pm

I remember there used to be some sort of bug related to this that caused your character to change in the lobby, but I don't remember what the trigger was, and I thought we fixed it a long time ago... Neutral

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2113
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico0020 on Sun May 10, 2015 4:45 am

Well apparently its still a bug. As it just happened to me again. Before I could even load into block 2 of Altimira I was disconnected. Upon loading my character again, I am one again a LVL 200 fat humar named - - -, no ID or type.

I had just fixed my character using codebreaker and was logging in to make a backup save on the server. Seems its not safe for me to play...
Nico0020

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Sun May 10, 2015 2:25 pm

Was there anybody else online? I checked the logs on both Iselia and Altimira, and I don't see a record of you getting disconnected with the name --- today. If nobody else was there, then it can't be someone NOLing you. I think it's related to your inability to load quests and such. Something is causing your character data to corrupt, and the fat HUmar is probably PSO's default way of reading the corrupted data with --- as an invalid name.

Until you find a way to fix your ISP not letting you load quests, it would seem that you should only connect with test characters.

BlueCrab confirms that a fat HUmar is what you get if all your character data is zeroes, so it would seem that your ISP errors are causing you to get disconnected when your character becomes invalid, but instead of getting the A: Reload error, your character parameters are all getting zeroed out. Why you're becoming level 200, though, is a mystery.

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico0020 on Mon May 11, 2015 9:46 am

There were 3 people online, but I think you are right about it not being someone actually attacking me. What a strange glitch indeed.

Something else too. I am trying random things, it seems it only happens when I go to Altimira, when I connect to Vega there is no problem at all so far.

Well I will be moving to a new apartment in a few months, so I can get my own internet setup, but I want to try and figure this stuff out. My girlfriend has a portable wifi hotspot thing from her cell phone company, so I will try connecting to that via ICS and see if I still can't download quests and such.
Nico0020

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Mon May 11, 2015 1:36 pm

I'm pretty sure that will work. On the bright side, PSO uses very little bandwidth due to being designed for use with a modem, so it shouldn't contribute very much towards any data caps your girlfriend's mobile account might have. Watching a single HD video on YouTube would use the same amount of bandwidth as playing PSO nonstop for like a month. Razz

*edit*

Just so you know, your character didn't die in vain. We just spent the afternoon testing NOL stuff, and Sylverant now has NOL protection, so if anybody does try to NOL people in the future, it won't work anymore. Smile

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nightstalker on Mon May 11, 2015 11:50 pm

Just FYI, such a thing happens when your router MTU size is set as: size mod 4 != 0

Are you familiar with this character?
http://tomo-net.org/lan/cs/mtu_miss.jpg
It occurred to me within DC V2, not only at the official SEGA server, but this server around 2014.

nightstalker

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Tue May 12, 2015 12:00 am

That... looks like quite a relevant piece of information. Thanks for pointing it out! Now if only he can find a way to change it when the router is provided by somebody else... Maybe he can call somebody?

I remembered that somebody else had this problem in the past... maybe it was you. Surprised

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico0020 on Tue May 12, 2015 2:15 am

The router is my own. It's a linksys router I brought from the states.  Right nwo my MTU setting is set to "Auto."  I can manually configure it.  I don't know much about that, so what should I set it to?

But yep, that picture posted is exactly what I am changing into. Glad to see there is someone who has seen what I've seen.

Nico0020

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightstalker on Tue May 12, 2015 5:55 am

Glad it seems to be related, let's see if the hypothesis holds Very Happy
The MTU size depends on your connection, but how about 1400? (try bigger when too slow)

Last edited by nightstalker on Tue May 12, 2015 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

nightstalker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico0020 on Tue May 12, 2015 9:05 am

Nightstalker, you are my hero.

I set my MTU to its lowest value, which now allows me to download quests without the game crashing. I also seem to be able to get into Altimira without freezing or corrupting! You have solved my PSO problems.

So I don't know much about MTU. Basically setting a lower value lowers the amount of data sent at any given instance - thus slowing my traffic? Is that correct? Should I just leave it as be at its current setting (578) or will I see adverse effects on other things on my network?

Had to take a trip through spaceship to celebrate. Again thanks so much!

Nico0020

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Tue May 12, 2015 12:40 pm

I don't think you need to set it that small; the 1400 size that nightstalker recommended is a value I've seen in other networking equipment before and complies with what Wikipedia says the Maximum Transmission Unit for Ethernet v2 and PPoE v2 should be (1500). My guess would be that your router was either using some kind of huge value that was too big for PSO to handle, or it was using a size that was not divisible by 4, which made PSO freak out. Using 578 will probably negatively impact your network performance in other applications, so I would suggest 1400 or 1492 as the highest value to try.

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nightstalker on Tue May 12, 2015 6:59 pm

Great, thanks for the report! You can further tune the parameter as Ives said.

I myself still have some "broken" characters, but according to your step, they can be rescued, yay!

nightstalker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Treamcaster on Thu May 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:
*edit*

Just so you know, your character didn't die in vain. We just spent the afternoon testing NOL stuff, and Sylverant now has NOL protection, so if anybody does try to NOL people in the future, it won't work anymore. Smile

Oh noes! I always wanted to try this out (pshh, don't tell anyone kay?).
Hopefully v1 freeze tech in town still works? xD

Treamcaster
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Fri May 15, 2015 12:05 am

You can still NOL yourself. Wink

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Treamcaster on Sat May 16, 2015 5:17 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:You can still NOL yourself. Wink

Lol, not that I want to break anyones character, but freeze tech in town was something I always wanted to try. I don't think anyone fixed it... Twisted Evil

Treamcaster
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Sat May 16, 2015 7:36 pm

*bans*

Ah, the server is peaceful once more. Cool

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Treamcaster on Sun May 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:*bans*

Ah, the server is peaceful once more. Cool

*time to organize a private v1 freeze party in a locked game*

Just kidding, I'm away from home, so I won't be touching my Dreamcast for quite some time... Sad

Treamcaster
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top