PSO Addict, New Here ( Help Wanted :) )

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PSO Addict, New Here ( Help Wanted :) )

Post  Elfana on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:32 pm

Hey, I got PSO a while back (back in 2001 or 2002, not sure which) and played it very frequently offline. I never, however, had the chance to play it Online, because at the time I couldn't afford internet access, and then my Dreamcast started acting up (wouldn't play a game disc without reloading/retrying 10+ times...). Anyways, I switched to some other online games (RuneScape, WoW, RO, etc.) and found out about private servers, so I decided to see if there were any PSO servers out there, and I see I'm in luck Wink.

Anyways, enough that introduction. I've read several of the FAQ's here, and did some wiki/google research, and was seeing if there's a way to transfer my DC PSO data to the PC, because I'm currently downloading the PC version of PSO. I've read of one way on SCHTHACK, which involves running DC on the server, saving all the items within the inventory on the server, then restoring it with a new character on the PC version with a character of the same name. However, that seemed risky, and I wasn't sure if all my stats would transfer over, plus all my bank items would be lost (180+ hours of gametime can net you quite a bit of rare items, none of which I would deem throw-away-able...assuming that's a word). I also read about the Nexus Memory card (which, fortunately enough I have) that has a cable to connect and edit VMU data with a PC, but I don't have the cable. Also, I'm not sure how I would even go about converting the DC's VMU data into the PC's format, which I'm sure are in different file formats.

Anyways, I was just wondering if this was possible. Or if I'll have to try and find V3 of the web-browser, or find a DC Codebreaker, or a BBA, or some other piece of equipment/software, and play the game online with my DC, or will I just have start a new character on the PC version to play online? Thanks for any help I can receive. Also, glad to hear about this community, as PSO has been my favorite game I've played so far, and that's just with playing it offline. Any help is appreciated :p.

Edit: Typo :s date* - data

Elfana

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PSO Addict, New Here ( Help Wanted :) )

Post  Aleron Ives on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:09 am

There is no way to fully transfer a character from DC to PC. The only way is the way you've mentioned, by doing a /save and /restor on the server, which will cause you to lose your playtime and such. If you really want to keep using the Dreamcast (and/or your original characters), you'll have to either pick up a BBA, or set up a PC-DC server (or just get a dial up ISP). If you want to start over, you can use PSO PC without the hassle of making the DC work online, though some people just love the feel of using the Dreamcast. Razz I myself used to play on the DC (on Sega's server) and I switched to PC. I remade my characters and re-leveled them, somehow it didn't seem right to copy my characters in a half-assed way to PC. It would steal their souls. Sad

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2102
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Elfana on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:41 pm

Hmm, that's what I figured... Oh well, I guess I'll just make a new character for PSO PC and play Online, and try to find a BBA in the meantime. Well, my DC game is v1, so there are alot of exploitable bugs I've heard about (PK'ing and whatnot), so I guess starting over would be best. See you online in about.... a day. Slow download ;s. Btw, if anyone knows where I can download Planetweb 3.0, or another browser that will let me alter the network settings, can you let me know? I've searched for a while, and all I've found is one version for the DC emulator Echelon, and it doesn't have any seeders (only available through torrent). Well, it's not a big deal, but if I ever get all the stuff, I'll have to play with my DC :p.

Elfana

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:16 pm

If you plan on playing frequently the BBA is a good investment, but it'll still set you back 100-150 USD. If you don't plan on playing as much just using dial up may be a better idea, but PSO PC is a port of PSO Ver.2 so you'll be getting far more content than you would on DC anyway, unless you plan on picking up a copy of Ver.2.

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2102
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top