Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Folding@home PSO Palace Team

+5
MuCast
Moopthehedgehog
ducky
psojimmy
Flash T.H.
9 posters

:: Off-Topic :: Off-Topic

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Folding@home PSO Palace Team Empty Folding@home PSO Palace Team

Post  Aleron Ives Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:15 pm

Folding@home is a distributed computing project run by Stanford University that utilises many people's computers from around the world to work towards the common goal of finding cures for several diseases. The Folding@home software allows your PC to run simulations of how the human body turns amino acids into proteins (a process called protein "folding"), and improperly folded proteins are thought to be the cause of several types of cancer, Alzheimer's, Huntington's, Parkinson's, and mad cow disease. Folding@home lets individuals with no scientific background contribute to scientific research simply by donating the computing power of their PCs.

If you visit the Folding@home website, you can download the Folding@home software for Windows, OSX, or Linux. Once you install it, Stanford will send your PC a "work unit" (WU), which is a protein folding problem for your PC to solve. You can set FAH to use your CPU or GPU only when you're not busy doing something else, so the FAH software won't interfere with the other tasks on your PC. Once your PC finishes its current WU, it will send the results to Stanford and request another WU. Each WU you contribute is assigned a point value depending on how complex the problem was and how quickly your PC was able to solve it.

You can contribute to FAH anonymously, or you can register a username and credit the points you earn to a specific team. If you would like to contribute your points to the PSO Palace team, simply enter team number 47300 along with your username into your FAH client. You can also earn bonus points and prevent other people from folding using your name if you obtain a passkey for your username. If you want to see our current score, you can visit the PSO Palace team statistics page. Thanks for contributing!

Last edited by Aleron Ives on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Folding@home PSO Palace Team Empty Re: Folding@Home

Post  Flash T.H. Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:42 pm

Could u put that in english please? Not very good at Science... or whatever. Very Happy
Flash T.H.
Flash T.H.
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2008-05-28

http://lupinakaflashth.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Folding@home PSO Palace Team Empty Folding

Post  psojimmy Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:16 am

i am folding again for pso place Very Happy

btw i am {psofreak} on schtserv
psojimmy
psojimmy

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Folding@home PSO Palace Team Empty Re: Folding@home PSO Palace Team

Post  ducky Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:12 pm

*cough* folding laundry *cough*
ducky
ducky

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Moopthehedgehog Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:06 pm

fah-web.standford.edu wrote:
Rank-------Donor-----------Score---WU
34---Moopthehedgehog --1337--14
Cool
Moopthehedgehog
Moopthehedgehog
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 681
Registration date : 2009-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  MuCast Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:18 pm

I have to applaud you two for what has quite possibly been the most impressive act of necromancy that this forum has ever seen in its existence.

Congratulations!
> DUX
MuCast
MuCast
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 760
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  ducky Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:49 pm

necropost this is not... its stickied, doesnt count
ducky
ducky

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:24 pm

Now that I have a new PC capable of running the latest FAH client, I've started folding again. Thanks go out to the members who kept the team active while I was idle! cheers
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico0020 Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:01 am

I did this a long time ago for another team that I now have forgotten.  Then today I  watched a minute physics video that mentioned a similar project for gravitational waves, which reminded me I like contributing to this.  Dunno how many members here still do this, but I was happy to join the PSO palace team in contributing.

Edit: looks like I need to get some extra cooling for my lappy. Seems like overheating issues on my GPU keep causing the folding on that processor to fail.
Nico0020
Nico0020

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:25 am

Welcome aboard! Honestly it's been kind of lonely folding by myself for so long. Sad If you have a compatible GPU, you should try GPU folding over CPU folding, as it earns a lot more points (for solving much more complex problems). Unless you have a gaming laptop, cooling may pose a problem for both CPU and GPU folding, though. If you haven't folded recently, have you created a passkey for your username? You're only eligible for the quick return bonus if you have a passkey and a good success rate, IIRC. Even my GTX 760 earns some 70K points per day. Cool
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico0020 Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:07 am

I tried to setup a passkey. But the site to request the key doesn't respond. I'm not sure why. I checked on isitdown but it seems to be fine.

My laptop was built back in 2012 and has an Nvidia Geforce GT 525M, one of those optimus cards. IIRC these things are prone to getting quite hot as they are supposed to pop in and out of use on the fly.
I solved the cooling problem by keeping the laptop elevated, but I'll try and buy a cooling pad tomorrow as I've been needing one anyways.

Hopefully I can figure out how to access the passkey registration. I always loved the idea of folding@home, and have some personal ties to family members being affected by the diseases this hopes to help understand.
Nico0020
Nico0020

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico0020 Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:51 am

Got the registration working. Look at me slowly working my way up in the ranks. I can't fold too often though, as I can only have my PC running when I am actually home and my AC is on. Japanese apartments become hot and humid greenhouses in the summer.
Nico0020
Nico0020

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:30 pm

Well, at least you have AC. I've heard lots of Japanese houses don't even have it, which seems crazy considering how nasty Japanese summers are.
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico0020 Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:44 am

Most Japanese homes and apartments have AC (and alot of homes support it via solar panels on their roofs), but its on a room by room basis. Central Air is not something that used here, and really it makes sense, especially in things like office buildings. Why do I need to air condition my hallways and shower when I spend so little time in there?

Anyways I was finally able register and I am slowly working my way up in the ranks of our team.

And yea, summers here are disgusting. I was born and raised in texas with 100 degree summers, but at least thats dry. I have to keep moisture absorbents all of my apartment to keep my apartment and possessions from getting wrecked from humidity when I am not home and running AC.
Nico0020
Nico0020

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico0020 Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:13 pm

Recently saw that folding@home has ways to contribute to COVID-19 research. Is this team still up and running? Figured my old machine's GPU + my current machines could contribute. I always liked running this program, however my old computer started to suffer the ravages of age and perhaps overhearing. Ives you still on this?
Nico0020
Nico0020

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:51 pm

The team is still up, yes. I set a goal of reaching 50 million points and then decided to let my PC rest. It looks like we've had 4 other contributors over the past 50 days, though. Very Happy

How do you contribute to the virus research?
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  68k-dude Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:40 pm

I have a new machine to test.

Might as well do good at the same time. Smile
68k-dude
68k-dude

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2014-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico0020 Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:18 am

As of now, as long as you have "any cause" selected, you will be given COVID-19 folding projects. Apparently there was like a 1200% increase / 40,000 new users recently. WU were being finished faster than they could be given out for awhile. I had to wait at first to get projects. I seem to be getting projects regularly again now though.
Nico0020
Nico0020

Back to top Go down

Post  68k-dude Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Hello Nico0020,

My computer seems to be getting a few Work Units per day but it spends quite a long time idle.

I have a new machine that I'm trying to get up and running but I seem to be busy with virtual meetings etc.

Anyway, stay safe and take care

68k-dude
68k-dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico0020 Fri May 01, 2020 11:40 am

The newest version of F@H apparently allowed you now to choose COVID-19 research as your priority. I always get WU pushed to me.

I'm still slowing finishing WU on my secondary laptop. I don't leave it running much unless I'm nearby, as TBH it's old and you shouldn't really fold on a laptop really. Don't want the place to burn down while I am gone.

Anyone who is still around on this board, how's the lockdown situation going for you in your areas?
Nico0020
Nico0020

Back to top Go down

Post  Siku Fri May 29, 2020 8:15 am

Hello everyone!

Yes, there's a quick drop down menu on the client that allowed me to specifically pick COVID-19. Figured why the heck not, my PC sits idle these days mostly. Why not put it to good use. Smile

Let my random nostalgia curiosity actually do something productive for a change. Yeah?

Unemployed, but trying to keep busy. Can't wait to get back to work. Otherwise, thankfully, nothing too major in the immediate family or friends. I'm very grateful for that.

Hope the same applies to you all as well. Hope all is well! And hello again, old friend. Aleron Ives. Long time. Smile

I admire that you're STILL at it after all this time. Your love for this game is truly unconditional and I admire it. Really do. Very Happy
Siku
Siku

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-03-26

http://ragolhunters.freehostia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Fri May 29, 2020 2:48 pm

Dude! Wecome back! We're still rocking your lovely forum theme... or what's left of it. Images keep breaking, and I'm trying to piece it back together. Laughing
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Nico0020 Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:49 am

I still have my super old linux lappy chugging away folding. I'm slowly working my way up on our leaderboards.
However it looks like someone else recently has rejoined and even taken over your 1st place Ives. Very Happy
Nico0020
Nico0020

Back to top Go down

Folding@home PSO Palace Team Empty 500 Million and counting

Post  68k-dude Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:27 am

Folding@home PSO Palace Team 1f4aa
68k-dude
68k-dude