Getting NOL'd.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Getting NOL'd.

Post  Number 2 on Fri May 18, 2012 11:11 am

Yeah it's blast to the past now. The thing is that I never knew much about "getting Nol'd."

How does it work? How are people able to do it? How huge was the damage (like how many victims)?

Number 2

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting NOL'd.

Post  Aleron Ives on Fri May 18, 2012 12:51 pm

When the code is enabled, you withdraw a certain item from your bank depending on which slot you want to target. The victim's character then reloads as one of the game's NPC characters. NOL is NPC 00, so she was the default chioce and thus became the generic name for all NPC overwriting. The victim would then have to turn off his Dreamcast to avoid having his character destroyed permanently, and doing so would instead cause him to lose all his unequipped items, since he didn't save.

Auto-save NOLing could either be accomplished by waiting to NOL somebody until he had already entered a teleporter, so that his game would automatically save at the end of the loading screen and destroy his character permanently on its own, or by combining a NOL code with a teleportation code that would forcibly send the victim to another floor after overwriting his data. Once the save is complete, the victim has to delete his character and start over, since his class, level, and inventory are forever replaced by that of the NPC. It was quite common on Oberon, which is why most people would play in locked teams on other ships to hide from the people who used those codes.

Various other codes were also created to improve the efficiency of NOLing other players, such as the "bank reach" code that allowed you to merely face the direction of the bank counter and press the A button to access it, which would allow you to immediately NOL other players after entering a team, instead of having to spend time running from the Hunter's Guild to the Check Room. Other codes would allow you to load your character data at the Telepipe locations instead of the Hunter's Guild when joining a team, so that you would be closer to the bank and not have to run as far.

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2099
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Treamcaster on Fri May 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Sylverant has "anti-Nol security" right?
Could a v1 player still PK freeze another one on this server?

Aww man, those awful PK days.. Is still remember a few names I was noled with, their craved in my mind still today... "Pepsiblue", "NOL", "MADELAINE", etc. PSO was war back then!

Hahaha, I just remembered I once stole a Lavis Canon from some cheater who died in caves and dropped weap. HAHA, I ran away to the lobby, he came after me but never got his weap back! Take that!

Off-topic: I once saw on sega servers, only once though, someone casting Foi technique in the lobby!
Never seen anyone do this on psopc or anywhere else. Anyone got any info on this?
Treamcaster
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Number 2 on Fri May 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Simply enough, back before popular MMOs, hackers/cheaters are able to "delete" your character. That just brilliant. Without the need of hijacking someone's personal account like today. This is client-sided game though.

It's just sad that this in the #1 on many lists why Phantasy Star games never get better. Hacking.

Hackers have been destroying people's experience in every PS game. Even the latest release, PSP2. Hackers/cheaters can still "delete" your character. I already saw one person got his character level turn to zero instead of one or 200. Then again, there are too many hackers and cheaters in PSP2.

This obviously made a lot of people create locked parties, prevent level 200s from joining, and backup their character data. To be honest, I NEVER backup my character data for PSP2. Since when as a player, must I do some time-consuming task of taking my memory card and copy and paste? All I want to do is turn on the game and play.

Well that is the evolution of online gaming. Least PSO2 is server side.

Number 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Sat May 19, 2012 12:45 am

It's not quite that simple, though. The client-sided nature of PSO is what makes having an offline mode and the ability to take your character with you between servers possible, and it's also what makes private servers as reliable as they are. Look at how many things go wrong on BB: Mags randomly de-evolve, items disappear from the bank, and Shipgate failures cause entire play sessions to get erased.

The more the client handles, the fewer chances there are that an imperfect server will cause problems. Having a client-sided game also makes it that much easier to make the server work, too. PSU wasn't that much more secure than PSO, yet there's still no public way to play it online, and Episode III has lots of missing functionality. The less secure the game is, the more likely a handful of people will be able to crack and preserve it.

Most importantly, the hackers are the reason we're still playing PSO at all. Yes, they made everyone miserable on Sega's server and even got it shut down early, but it's those same people who learned enough about the game and the official server to reverse engineer the network protocol and implement it in a homebrew program.

Holier-than-thou legit players may love to harp on the virtue behind obeying Sega's rules and the inherent evil in tinkering with the game, but if everyone had followed that path, we'd all be playing WoW right now. Legit players never learned enough about the game's inner workings to design a server for it: it's the very people who tormented legits a decade ago who made the preservation of the game possible. It's ironic that the very people who made Sega's server so unpleasant are the ones we have to thank for making the post-Sega PSO experience so much better, and safer, than it was back then. Like it or not, we owe them for what we have today. Somehow, it makes the loss of all the play time and the corruption of all the characters from those days seem a little less futile.

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2099
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Number 2 on Sat May 19, 2012 5:04 pm

Oh yeah I strongly believe that if private servers didn't exist, the PS franchise would die quickly in the west. Heck, I would playing something else (I might be turned into those FPS fanatic). Schthack gave me a glorious adventure when I finally play on his server. I'll always thank him.

Because of the private servers, the community still continues to create their own stories and keeps getting old folks sharing their stories. And that what makes the community grow.

My 2nd post really just pin-point only on official servers. How on earth can Sega do well with their latest game if it ever comes to the west, PSO2? Wasn't it already risky to localize PSZero, PSP1, and PSP2?

Note:I always keep forgetting but, thanks for answering my main question.

Last edited by Number 2 on Sat May 19, 2012 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : "something", not "someone," sigh)

Number 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilMag on Sun May 20, 2012 1:00 am

Whats funny is that PSP2 wouldn't have as much hackers if fucking Segac actually implemented the Little Wing License update.
EvilMag
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-03-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Number 2 on Sun May 20, 2012 8:11 pm

EvilMag wrote:Whats funny is that PSP2 wouldn't have as much hackers if fucking Segac actually implemented the Little Wing License update.

It is already hilarious that certain number of folks that bought the game legally didn't even need to type in secure key number. It's like as if the whole Little Wing License is pointless.

Although, is it me or am I insane to expect something good out of online/offline hybrid video game? (Where you can take your character data to both online and offline.) Something tells me I need to research more.

So far the only game I find positive experience is Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii. I have yet to find one hacker while out of my 600+ hours of playtime. But for Borderlands for PC, 360, and PS3, it was the opposite. Somehow some folks manage to hack the game were they created one destructive revolver. It quickly spread (super-easy to dupe), and everyone's experience is either bad or good.

Number 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My two bits

Post  Baron_Von_Bullsh-t on Mon May 21, 2012 6:18 am

Here's the thing with hacking. If someone wants it bad enough they will find a way. It's no different than downloading a movie, or game old and or new off the internet. Same with game play, if people want something in a game and don't want to spend the time, they hack it, or look for a hack. All one can do is simply update their anti-hacking device and even then, it goes only so far. Just like all things, there's always a way around something, doesn't matter what it is. Just a matter of demand and the will to surpass the obstacle in the way.

Sure you found cheating on PSO, but these days it's pretty civil, not a high demand for this game anymore. Unless you count the Brazilians, especially on SCHterve. Now a lot of people had problems with them cheating, which i can understand, kill stealing is a bitch. I never had any real problems with this as they always helped me (allbeit hacked weapons and MAGs) to play the games they were in. Simply to enjoy the company of others to play with. Similar to what I used to do in Diablo 2 before Blizzard heavily patched it. I used to hack items, go online and just give them to people, for no reason at all. Almost like a Robin Hood, but with magical wizard powers, however i never went out of my way to make people miserable with it as people generally do now-a-days. Even then, I hardly cheat/hack if I can avoid it. (unless it's an old game and i've beaten it a thousand times and is single player XD). However these days it's really not worth losing an account over. However still, maybe i may not have experienced this in PSO but most certainly in a lot of other games...

However Aleron makes a very good point, these same hackers that we so desperately want to curb stomp, really make these games, old and new available to us. With out them, we still wouldn't be playing Phantasy Star Online...At least online anyways or maybe even offline as well. They have also helped improve the experience as much as we hate to admit it. It'll always be a love hate relationship...I just wish they would keep putting their skills to GOOD use instead of making life miserable for other players...Then again you kind of have to understand a hacker...

Here's some traits I've noticed about hackers in general, now this is just a generalization, if you're (anyone) a hacker and don't fit this bill, don't take it personally.

Hackers are generally narcissistic, usually loners being outcasts by societal norms. Generally spend their time alone instead of with other people, and communication is usually limited to the screen instead of face to face. As cliche as this may sound, usually live with their parents, making some money exploiting bugs for some software companies, or living with a significant other (rarely). They love a challenge (hence hacking in the first place) but when it comes to the reality of life, they'd rather not be bothered with it.

That's the general profile I get from them anyways. Not trying to be insulting, but just is what it is. Some put their skills to good use, while others just do it to make other feel miserable like a bully. It really all depends.

Well, that's my two bits.
Baron_Von_Bullsh-t
Power Member
Power Member

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-06-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down