Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Widescreen?

4 posters

Go down

No Widescreen? Empty No Widescreen?

Post  Baron_Von_Bullsh-t Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:26 pm

So I recently got a new laptop, it's pretty sweet, but it's widescreen and every time i boot up PSO it doesn't exactly keep the raitio, instead i just have the two black bars on the side. Is there anyway to remedy this? Or do I just have to lower my screen res every time I wanna play?
Baron_Von_Bullsh-t
Baron_Von_Bullsh-t
Power Member
Power Member

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-06-02

Back to top Go down

No Widescreen? Empty Re: No Widescreen?

Post  hayame Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:33 pm

presuming you're on fullscreen, have you tried running it windowed, then maximizing pso?
hayame
hayame
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2009-12-17

http://www.urbanterror.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:34 pm

If you want your character and all the Boomas to be short and fat, you can configure your graphics card to ignore the game's aspect ratio and stretch it to fill the screen on Vista/7. I'd rather view the game normally, but some people can't stand pillarboxing.
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hayame Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Would it be possible to break pso, and enable it to have a higher resolution, but keep the fov the same?
hayame
hayame
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MuCast Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:13 pm

I may be mistaken, but to my knowledge without replacing the textures in every area of the game with higher resolution textures that will work proportionally to the resolution you want to view the game at, you're going to lose graphics clarity in the game's viewing window. If this is in fact the case, then it would be difficult if not impossible to run the game at a higher resolution than the ones that are already there due to the memory limitations that are in place for v2.

This is also the reason certain higher resolution skins won't fully work with v2 as they would with BB. Thus, some of them have to be creatively modified in order for v2 to run them.

MuCast
MuCast
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 760
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Baron_Von_Bullsh-t Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:30 pm

Well nuts. Would be pretty awesome if an HD widescreen version mod could be made...either way i guess it'll have to do with windowed because full screen on this looks bad....
Baron_Von_Bullsh-t
Baron_Von_Bullsh-t
Power Member
Power Member

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  hayame Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Hmm, must be pso then, most games (new or old) iirc don't require you to have a certain resolution proportional to the actual output resolution.

Even with 8x aa, fullscreen at pso's highest supported resolution, it looks really dull and bland. When it's windowed, it looks very good, but it's also very small.

edit: I have no idea how else to say what i mean, i guess it's just me being weird. bounce
hayame
hayame
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:38 pm

The only practical way to adapt the game to a 16:9 aspect ratio would be to alter the game's camera to expand the viewing window and render more content on the left and right of the frame (or render less on the top and bottom). Without source code, even this is beyond what's feasible, though.

hayame wrote:Even with 8x aa, fullscreen at pso's highest supported resolution, it looks really dull and bland. When it's windowed, it looks very good, but it's also very small.
AF helps with the dullness more than AA does. I use 8x AA and 16x AF, and the game looks even better than the Dreamcast version in most respects; the only downside is the broken animations and transparency. The better draw distance and particle/lighting effects make up for that, though.
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MuCast Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:00 pm

hayame wrote:Hmm, must be pso then, most games (new or old) iirc don't require you to have a certain resolution proportional to the actual output resolution.

Sorry, I didn't think I clarified what I meant to say. PSO doesn't actually require you to run certain skins at certain resolutions for the game to work properly, but with the original resolution textures, you lose clarity indefinitely when you're playing stretched window mode on just about any computer. In order to perhaps increase the quality of the game at a given stretched resolution, I had figured that the only way this was possible was to clean up the textures and make them proportional in ratio to the appropriate resolution. This was more or less just a guess.

I do know however if you add too many high resolution textures to a given area in the game, and you load that area, the game will crash the moment you load into the area. It was the main problem I had when I was porting over the Hi-Resolution Forest 1 and 2 mods from Blue Burst over into v2. Therefore, doing something like modifying textures to higher resolutions than the game originally has in place could make the game unstable if too many are loaded in at the same time, and would very easily cause the game to crash.

The only ways to really modify the game to make it look better are to add your own skins into the game or to force AA and AF, at least to my knowledge.

/end wall o' text Mad
MuCast
MuCast
Uber Member
Uber Member

Number of posts : 760
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  hayame Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:50 pm

MuCast wrote:
The only ways to really modify the game to make it look better are to add your own skins into the game or to force AA and AF, at least to my knowledge.

/end wall o' text Mad

Very Happy for your time.

Like I said, I have no other way to explain it, It's probably just me being a graphical freak. But obviously it looks better than the dreamcast.
hayame
hayame
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down