Direct X Glitches

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Direct X Glitches

Post  Aleron Ives on Tue May 20, 2008 1:27 pm

As those of us who have played both Dreamcast and PC know, PSO PC has some very corrupt graphical effects. Razz From what Proxen has told me, everything in PC is essentially the same as DC, the reason things look so bad is because Sega did not implement the Direct X in pso.exe correctly. I believe he has fixed most of it, but this topic serves as a checklist for everything that ought to be fixed. ;D If I miss things, please post additions. Surprised

The list is sorted by category:

Alpha Blending Glitches

My understanding of 3D graphics is that alpha blending is what allows objects to be transparent or translucent. PSO PC has borked alpha blending, which causes a great deal of glitches.

• Looking through the monitors in the lobby causes objects to disappear.
  • Looking through signs on Pioneer 2 causes objects to disappear.
  • Looking through waterfalls in Cave 2 or Ruins 1 causes objects to disappear.
  • The blue rings around the giant purple Meseta in the Guild pillar have square edges because the outside of the texture isn't transparent.
  • You can't see enemies inside the ice block when they are frozen.
  • The ghosts on Falz have square edges because the outside of the texture isn't transparent.
  • The little red/blue/green/yellow/purple door switches in Forest/Cave/Mine have coloured discs inside them, and when you activate them the disc is supposed to spin. On PC the disc disappears, I assume because the energy wave effect that moves across switches when they are active is hiding the disc, i.e. it should be translucent and it is not.
  • If you stand in front of one of the crystal pillar things in Ruins and swing a weapon like a Double Saber, you can see the square edges of the photon blur because it isn't transparent on top of the crystals.
  • I'm not sure if this is alpha blending, but when you're in a dark room there is supposed to be a pool of light around your character. It's missing on PC.
  • Also related to darkness, the game is supposed to support varying levels of dark. In Endless Nightmare 3 on DC, each room gets progressively darker in Mine 1. On PC, every room is normal except for the final room which is fully dark.

Texture Glitches

The game also has lots of corrupt textures both on objects as well as in areas.

• The purple Meseta in the Guild pillar is sort of a dirty purple. On DC, it's pink.
  • The floor in Ult Cave 1 has diagonal lines running across it.
  • The floor of the Sil Dragon arena has large black ditches in it.
  • The Sigh of a God is white and it's supposed to be yellow.
  • Evil Curst. 'nuff said lol.

Animation glitches

The game also has numerous animations that are broken, i.e. things that should animate but are stationary instead.

• The purple Meseta in the Guild pillar is supposed to open and close.
  • The waterfall in Ruins 1 is supposed to flow.
  • The ghosts on Falz are supposed to animate.
  • The rainbow in Falz's wings is supposed to animate. (They never fixed this in GC, actually, and they totally removed the ghosts lol.)
  • In the rooms filled with purple poison in the Ruins, on DC the screen changes colour and then you see the mist sweep across the room and fill it. On PC, it just appears.
  • When you enter a dark room, the screen colour is supposed to change, and then the lights fade out. On PC, it just goes pitch black instantly lol.

PSO Ver.1

This section is not related to fixing bugs, but rather adding new/better graphics. Those of us who have played Ver.1 know that it has superior effects to DC Ver.2. Sega removed these effects on purpose to reduce slowdown in the game, because unfortunately Ver.1 is too graphically good for the Dreamcast to handle it. xD Since PSO PC does not have such limitations, IMO we ought to try to put some of the effects back in the game.

• Shifta, Deband, Jellen, Zalure sparklies. I always bring this one up, as I love the sparklies. Razz Bring them back! Very Happy This effect should probably be limited to "High end" lighting effects mode.
  • Weapon blurring. On Ver.1, weapons with photon trails of light like Double Sabers have huge photon trails. If possible, we ought to bring this back. If we do try to do it though, a bug needs fixing. The light trails on weapons in Ver.1 sometimes get turned off completely so weapons don't blur at all. I have no idea why. Extra photon blurring should also probably be limited to "High end" lighting effects mode.
  • Extended blood distance. I'm not really sure what to call this, lol. On Ver.1 you seem to be able to see the bloodstains of dead enemies in the room from any distance. On Ver.2, the game only draws the bloodstains closest to you. The popup from bloodstains is a bit annoying, so even if the visual range of the stains isn't increased to the whole room, the range should match the draw distance of items and enemies IMO. This would probably be limited to "High end" clipping mode.
  • Different Devil/Demon special animations. I'm not sure why, but Sega removed the animation for the Devil special attack. If you use an Imperial Pick or any other weapon that cuts enemy HP on Ver.2, you can see a blue ring shoot out around the enemy and move to the corners of the screen. On Ver.1, this effect is only for Demon weapons. Devil weapons cause greenish orbs to rise out of the enemy when you halve their HP. I don't think this effect would need to be limited to certain graphical settings.
  • Ruins poison rooms. I just noticed this when playing on Ver.1; I think it was last week. On DC Ver.2/PC, poison is just a pink mist. On Ver.1, the poison is a blue-ish purple mist, and you can see it billow across the room in gusts. It's quite nifty. Ver.1 also has the effect of having the poison sweep across the room and fill it when you enter a poison room like DC Ver.2, which PSO PC is missing (as I mentioned before). If this effect is restored, it would probably have to be limited to "High end" lighting effects mode. The standard pink mist would need to be retained for "Normal" lighting effects mode.

What else? Very Happy

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Direct X Glitches

Post  Treamcaster on Tue May 27, 2008 1:26 pm

Oh my, way to go Aleron! Great list!! (still din't have time to read it all, but I will soon!)
Hmm, do you think it could be possible "repacking" pso.exe with the right directx effects?
Treamcaster
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My observations

Post  stasher on Wed May 28, 2008 10:37 am

You know, I didn't believe it when others told to me that the DC version looked better than the PC version. Now that I've had the chance to experience both, I can definitely say that the PC version is ugly as sin! I've noticed everything mentioned above and then some. Here are some additional observations:

-Darker contrasting shadows on everything. This is the most ugliest thing I've noticed between the versions. The Rappies are no longer beautiful. It's difficult to see that they actually have white bellies. And you can't even tell that the lilies are different shades of pink. You actually have to reposition yourself and the camera in order to get good enough lighting for a screen shot.

-On the DC, Vol Opt's floating "head" on the screens has a kind of transparent skin around it. It's completely lost on the PC except for when you shoot at the screen, you can see it for a split second.

-The blue fringe on some of the plants in Forest and Caves 2. There might be some other places, but I don't remember

-The shadow of the giant crystals in Ruins obscure the spotlight shining up from Rico's message capsules. This happens when the shadow is BEHIND the spotlight!?

-Many parts of your character or weapon disappear in the "screenshots" shown during the credits.

-The dragon turns ugly pinkish colors when it dies away. It doesn't die off as uniformally (for lack of a better word) as on the DC when it fades away.

-Also, the colors of the dragon are much uglier. The contrast in the colors make the light parts look extra light.

-When the lights go out during De Rol Le, they hardly go out. Actually, during a long bout with De Rol Le, I can't tell when the lights are supposed to be out or on. There is a difference, I can tell, but with color, not with darkness or lightness.

-The Grass Assassin stretches into funky shapes as it dies and melts into the ground. This is especially notciable when you move the camera around because the assassins squished body moves, too!

-The fog in Forest 2 appears suddenly. It's absolutely hilarious, yet ugly. It's as if it rushes into the area because it was supposed to be there as you entered, but was late.

-The rainbow in Caves 2 is way too bright. On the DC it actually looks as if it's a faint rainbow created by the waterfall mist, but on PC it looks way too bright.

-The crystals of the sorcerer are no longer transparent. (like what happens with the ice on enemies)

-When playing one player offline, your character ends up in random spawn places during the beginning of Vol Opt 1 and 2. On the DC I ALWAYS was in the spawn spot closest to the camera.

-The red atmospheric haze in caves 1 is so thick and horrible.

-The circle symbol that appears circling below your mag during a photon blast dissappears after a split second, then after a few seconds, reappears for a split second before reducing in size. Totally takes away from the magic of the moment.

-This:

same as this:

This happens when (a) Geometry is pretty much on top of each other and the computer tries to display both, or (b) the focal lenght of the camera is set too extreme and objects appear through each other. Since I understand that PSO PC is a direct port of the DC version, I think (b) is the reason that the diagonal lines happen.

Added Things
-There is the shine of a spot light for a second on the ground whenever I kill a moth. There is the shine of a spot light on the ground whenever a telepipe is created/"standing" there. Or, when a person casts a technique.

-Strange noise interference, especially during certain parts of Forest 1. I keep happening upon this "interference" consistantly in certain areas, as if it is supposed to be there.

-The sounds of certain things are crisper. I can acutally hear more "sylables" during that nose the mag makes when you feed it. Transporting between areas sound different. It's as if I was missing out on all these awesome sounds on the DC.

I have logged many hours on PSO and can pretty much predict which room is going to be in darkness or not. But, it is still very jarring when I enter a room, get halfway in, and then the lights suddenly go completely out. And that slight light around the character is sorely missed. If it was possible to fix only one thing mentioned in this topic, the dark room issue definitely has my vote.
stasher
Power Member
Power Member

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-04-16

View user profile http://stasher-dragon.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Wed May 28, 2008 3:59 pm

I don't really like quote walls, but I think that's the best way to address some of these things.

Darker contrasting shadows on everything. This is the most ugliest thing I've noticed between the versions. The Rappies are no longer beautiful. It's difficult to see that they actually have white bellies. And you can't even tell that the lilies are different shades of pink. You actually have to reposition yourself and the camera in order to get good enough lighting for a screen shot.
I'm not really sure what you mean by this. I thought the enemies looked the same, on GC the shadows are completely missing and Rappies look just straight white. They look better on PC AFAIK. I can sort of remember how the Lilies look a bit weird, but it's been a while since I've paid much attention (or since I've spent any length of time playing on a Dreamcast).

On the DC, Vol Opt's floating "head" on the screens has a kind of transparent skin around it. It's completely lost on the PC except for when you shoot at the screen, you can see it for a split second.
Never noticed this.

The blue fringe on some of the plants in Forest and Caves 2. There might be some other places, but I don't remember
This definitely happens for me, though I don't remember if it does on the Dreamcast. Remember that the Dreamcast has both anti-aliasing plus the blurriness of the television going for it, so it can sort of hide its graphical imperfections behind a giant mask of blurr. Razz While PSO PC may be filled with glitches, I do definitely enjoy its crispness.

The shadow of the giant crystals in Ruins obscure the spotlight shining up from Rico's message capsules. This happens when the shadow is BEHIND the spotlight!?
This would be an alpha-blending glitch. The yellow light from the Rico capsule is supposed to be translucent, but since all translucency effects are broken it's solid instead and obscures whatever is behind it.

Many parts of your character or weapon disappear in the "screenshots" shown during the credits.
Again, alpha-blending.

-The dragon turns ugly pinkish colors when it dies away. It doesn't die off as uniformally (for lack of a better word) as on the DC when it fades away.

-Also, the colors of the dragon are much uglier. The contrast in the colors make the light parts look extra light.
Yeah the Dragon does become strange colours when it fades, haha. (Again, due to alpha-blending, your character's hair and other body parts may disappear if you stand inside the Dragon as he dies! Razz) I don't think the Dragon's colour scheme is particularly different from the Dreamcast, though. However again, it's been a long time for me.

When the lights go out during De Rol Le, they hardly go out. Actually, during a long bout with De Rol Le, I can't tell when the lights are supposed to be out or on. There is a difference, I can tell, but with color, not with darkness or lightness.
I imagine this is related to the PC's inability to handle differening levels of darkness, such as in Endless Nightmare #3. ~.~

The Grass Assassin stretches into funky shapes as it dies and melts into the ground. This is especially notciable when you move the camera around because the assassins squished body moves, too!
Very Happy It is rather nifty though, you gotta admit hehe.

The fog in Forest 2 appears suddenly. It's absolutely hilarious, yet ugly. It's as if it rushes into the area because it was supposed to be there as you entered, but was late.
Yeah there's popup related to effects like fog. It doesn't seem to know how to appear smoothly. I don't even remember how it worked on the Dreamcast...

Also I'd like to point out that when you stand in the purple doorway that usually leads to the final room with the warp up to the raised platform, you can't hear the rain anymore on PC to my knowledge. Sad

The rainbow in Caves 2 is way too bright. On the DC it actually looks as if it's a faint rainbow created by the waterfall mist, but on PC it looks way too bright.
IIRC the rainbows on the Dreamcast fade in and out as your distance from them changes, yes? Personally I'm just happy they show up at all and the waterfalls actually animate in that room. Sad

The crystals of the sorcerer are no longer transparent. (like what happens with the ice on enemies)
...The crystals were transparent? (I presume you mean translucent?) I did notice they looked different on Ver.1, but I presumed that was a special Ver.1 effect that was removed in Ver.2.

When playing one player offline, your character ends up in random spawn places during the beginning of Vol Opt 1 and 2. On the DC I ALWAYS was in the spawn spot closest to the camera.
This isn't related to graphics, lol. Razz I'm not sure how that's possible, either. Spawn points are static. Then again, I avoid offline play as much as possible.

The red atmospheric haze in caves 1 is so thick and horrible.
I've never noticed anything different in Cave 1 aside from the corrupt floor textures in Ult.

The circle symbol that appears circling below your mag during a photon blast dissappears after a split second, then after a few seconds, reappears for a split second before reducing in size. Totally takes away from the magic of the moment.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, the summon circle does not disappear for me. This might be related to your graphics card. What I do notice though, is that when you launch a PB like say Estlla, the summon circle is on the ground, and then it is supposed to be in the air along with Ecco as he dives. However I believe due to alpha-blending, it is missing in the air until he finishes diving and then it appears and shrinks as soon as he starts zipping off to kill the enemies.

lol @ the button glitch. It's probably the same as the see-through doors in the Ruins. PSO PC isn't smart enough to decide which object to display when they are of equal heights.

The spots of light you describe are due to having "High-end" lighting and particle effects enabled. This is something only PSO PC has, and it's one of my favourite improvements. Whenever you cast a Technique the ground and walls near you light up with it. Try casting Megid in the Ruins if you have a low level Megid. You see the purple glow reflecting off the floor as the orb moves away. (It's harder to see with high level spells since they move so much faster.)

PSO PC also has the best clipping distance of any PSO version, which I greatly appreciate. cheers

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Treamcaster on Wed May 28, 2008 4:05 pm

Treamcaster wrote:
Hmm, do you think it could be possible "repacking" pso.exe with the right directx effects?

This might have been forgotten Surprised

Edit: I wonder if there could be applied a patch that could turn grapics anti-alysed, like someone did with FF8 for PC? (REALLY HUGE IMPROVEMENTS in charpen graphics, too bad mostly nobody know about the existence of this patch btw..)
Treamcaster
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Wed May 28, 2008 4:12 pm

No it wasn't, the purpose of this topic is hopefully to serve as a checklist for Proxen should he ever decide to finish fixing all the glitches and release a new exe. Sad

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Treamcaster on Wed May 28, 2008 4:17 pm

Oh great! Let's hope he releases it, among with the other projects...
Treamcaster
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillaclva on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:30 am

Yaknow, in Ver.1 the androids were shiney, and I liked that alot, also the Mothnest thing was shiney and kinda slimey looking, that was neato to. Smile
but I guess v1 is the only one that did that....
Gillaclva

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-20

View user profile http://myspace.com/applegoose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top