PSO Ver.2 Dreamcast Image Released!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: PSO Ver.2 Dreamcast Image Released!

Post  Aleron Ives on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Our discs are unrelated. If your Dreamcast can't load it, it's probably time for a new one lol.

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2099
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  aaron_yume on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Deleted

Last edited by aaron_yume on Thu May 17, 2012 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

aaron_yume

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-10-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  furrypaws on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:01 pm

Quick question. I'm purchasing a Dreamcast (hooray). If I were to purchase PSO v1 US and play through it without going online, then download this version and put it into my Dreamcast, would I be able to play online, since I hadn't entered serials first, or does it form a serial automatically (highly unlikely). Just want to make sure, thanks.

But, if I'm understanding correctly, I can't play online with v1 if I want to play online later with EU v2?

furrypaws
Power Member
Power Member

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2009-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:50 pm

If you want to use both Ver.1 and Ver.2, you need an EUv1 unfortunately. Maybe I should make one? XD

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  furrypaws on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:08 pm

To be honest, the sole reason I bought a Dreamcast was PSO. I saw one on ebay for about 50 dollars with four controllers and four VMUs and confirmed working, and that pretty much sealed the deal right there. Of course, the, "It's too good to be true" factor is starting to kick in and drive me insane while I wait for it, but...anyways.

That would be epic. =D

To be honest though, I most likely won't be online too much to start, as dial-up is a huge pain in the rear. I might just stick with PSO v1 anyways, because there's always PC for v2.

Yes, I did primarily buy a Dreamcast for PSO. Yes, I am slightly insane. x_x While I'm at it though, are there any offline splitscreen FPSs that I could look into? I'm looking for a few games to furnish my system. I'm looking at Grandia 2, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, maybe Sonic Adventure 2 (as I already own the GC one, but I'd like to see the changes), MDK2, and Power Stone. Any reccomendations for anything would be great.

furrypaws
Power Member
Power Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Al on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:54 am

Congratulations.
The Dreamcast has one of the best greatGames/junkGames ratios at all.

What genres are you looking for?
Do you want to hunt down great collector's items on eBay or do you want to get good arcade games for about 3$? There's both.

I don't know well about FPSs...
Quake III and Unreal Tournament should please you I guess.
Personally I'd recommend you to have a look at Toy Commander or Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense if you don't mind changing the mutants and monsters for vehicles.

Al

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-01-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  furrypaws on Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:01 pm

I'm a known cheapskate (see purchase of Dreamcast solely because it was a good deal), so good games for that cheap are winners.

I'm generally looking for good titles under $30. If it's incredible and less than $50, that's pretty ok. But, I'll be pretty reluctant to buy anything over $50.

Basically, any genres besides Sports works for me. I can't stand sports games, with the sole exception of if they have a twist. >_>

furrypaws
Power Member
Power Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:23 pm

Skies of Arcadia is of course epuc. Cool

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  furrypaws on Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:43 pm

I've heard Skies of Arcadia is amazing, but I've also heard it's not for everyone. I'll see if I can borrow the GCN version from a friend and see if I like it. Speaking of which, would it be better to buy the GC version or the DC version?

Also, I'm known for being frugal. Really, any good game that's not directly a sport game (ie. Mario Golf>Tiger Woods Golf) under $30 is good for me. If you really feel that a game under $50 is worth my time, tell me. But, anything above $50 has to be a 100% classic with absolutely no alternatives.

Also, Ives...

;-;

furrypaws
Power Member
Power Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:13 pm

I've been busy seeding Bill Nye the Science Guy which I still only have a 53% ratio on, and right now someone else has to use the bandwidth so I'm not running BT at all. ;_;

Whether you play the original or a port is a matter of taste. Some people like upgrades and tweaks, others prefer the original. I finally bought a copy of Sonic Adventure 2 yesterday. Cool

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  furrypaws on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:36 pm

That's funny, I was just thinking of buying SA2. Something about the bigger chao gardens and VMU intrigued me.

Got my Dreamcast today!

Didn't get my torrent finished! Should only be another week or so! >_>; Really, though, the torrent would just be to hold me over with something to do until my other games arrive. That brings up a question of mine though; would I be able to have a US v1 character and a EU v2 character separately? Or a US v1 and a US v2 character separately (a lot less likely). Or, a US v2 and a EU v2 character separately?

By the way, Bill Nye was the only science video ever worth watching in school. =/ It's the truth. I'll get the torrent later, you learn about rocks and pressure and stuff now. =D

I guess I'll just have to play these sports games until the other games arrive though (currently on list are Sonic Adventure, PSO US v1, and Soul Calibur, along with Sonic Adventure 2 if I can afford it). The racing game which came with it (Speed Devils or something like that) is acting weird. I get to the start screen, hit start, it goes to a loading screen, and goes back to the "Hit Start" screen. All of my other games work fine. I' just have to look further into it. =/

furrypaws
Power Member
Power Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:06 pm

If you want to play EUv2 online you must either use EUv1 or no Ver.1 at all.

...Unless the whole "make up a serial" thing works on USv1 and EUv1, then it might not matter. Ver.2 might be the only one with protection for that, but I'm not sure.

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  furrypaws on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:36 pm

Mind explaining a bit more indepth?

EDIT:

The torrent decided I should wait another week or two before I can play it.

furrypaws
Power Member
Power Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:20 pm

Some people say you can use serials like 7777777777 in Ver.1. If this is the case, then Ver.1 has no protection and you could use USv1 and EUv2. If it's not true and Ver.1 has protection like Ver.2 does, you can't do it. In Ver.2, there's an algorithm used to generate serials. A USv2 serial and an EUv2 serial look the same, but PSO knows the difference. You can't use a USv2 serial in EUv2 or vice versa. Since PSO records your serials to the internal flash memory, you are required to re-enter serials when you create a new character and try to go online the first time. If the serial you enter and the serial in the flash don't match, PSO says BZZZZZ and deletes the serial you tried to enter. If the serial you enter in Ver.2 is invalid, the same thing happens. In addition, if you have used Ver.1, Ver.2 requires that you re-input your Ver.1 serial when taking a new Ver.2 character online. Furthermore, serials are also saved in your character save file, and if the serial in the flash and the serial in the save don't match, PSO says your character is corrupt and refuses to load it. Obviously, DC has a lot more protection on characters than GC does. Razz This protection was most likely removed to make it easy to implement offline split screen play, but in actuality Sega would have only had to disable the check when selecting that mode...

Also, the Dreamcast won't let you save too many serials to the flash. If you do, your flash can get fucked up and your characters will get their serials messed up and register as corrupt. I lost my DC version of Ives at ~ lv 130 due to trying to use EUv2 and then loading him.

The short form is save yourself trouble and don't mix regions. Use EUv1 and EUv2 and the appropriate serials, or don't use Ver.1 at all. For those of us who used USv1 and USv2 before the HL server went down, we can still load our USv2 characters with EUv2 since they already went online once and the serial in the flash and the save file match. However, we can no longer create new characters and go online with them since EUv2 won't let us enter our USv2 serials, and the Dreamcast won't let us enter our EUv2 serials since they don't match the ones already in the flash. (...Or if the Dreamcast will let us enter them, it will probably hose the flash and who knows what'll happen.)

Be that enough depth for j00? Rolling Eyes

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  furrypaws on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:22 pm

Yes. I actually love it when people go indepth, it always helps me understand why things work. It always gives me a little bit of enjoyment when I can figure out how something works and why. /geek

So, long story short, I decided to not take my risks and buy a PAL PSO v1 which I coincidentally (and luckily) found for less than fifteen dollars, shipping and all. ^-^

Does this mean I'll be able to create new characters when I download PSO v2 and use it, because I'm starting with a EU PSO v1? Also, is Dreamcast region free, or will I have to buy/download a codebreaker too? I'd buy one if I need one, but I just spent all of my money on new games for the Dreamcast. >_<;

Also, torrent sped up. <3 If all goes well and my brother lets me leave his computer on overnight just this once, I may have a working copy of PSO v2 by tomorrow morning. I'm sure it'll stop 15 MiB from the end and go back to being 5 days again though. >_>

Another question though, because I know you love to answer them. Razz
What exactly was the Hunters License server, and what purpose did it serve?

Finally, sorry to hear about your character. 130 levels, too. >_<

furrypaws
Power Member
Power Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:53 pm

furrypaws wrote:Does this mean I'll be able to create new characters when I download PSO v2 and use it, because I'm starting with a EU PSO v1?
Yes, you should be able to go online with both Ver.1 and Ver.2 as long as you have an EUv1 serial coming with the game.

furrypaws wrote:Also, is Dreamcast region free, or will I have to buy/download a codebreaker too? I'd buy one if I need one, but I just spent all of my money on new games for the Dreamcast. >_<;
You will need a bootdisc to play EUv1. GD-ROM games are region protected, so you either have to change your Dreamcast's region, use a bootdisc, or buy a modchip. CD-R games such as my EUv2 are modified to be region free, so they boot on any Dreamcast.

furrypaws wrote:Another question though, because I know you love to answer them. Razz
What exactly was the Hunters License server, and what purpose did it serve?
Sega charged a monthly fee for PSO which users would pay by entering their serials in a website form and paying with a credit card. When connecting, PSO sends the serials to the HL server, and if the user has paid the fee then the HL server sends confirmation and PSO tries to connect to the game server. If PSO does not connect to the HL server it disconnects automatically without trying to contact the game server. The problem is that the HL connection uses SSL encryption, so we cannot create a homebrew HL server to emulate Sega's. As such, all versions with the HL check can no longer go online (JPv1, JPv2, USv2). Again, GC has reduced security and no longer has any kind of mandatory security check that uses SSL (most likely the HL check was performed by the game server itself on GC without SSL, and since our server does not make that check, users can sign on with no problems), and this is why GC is unaffected.

furrypaws wrote:Finally, sorry to hear about your character. 130 levels, too. >_<
All of my main characters corrupted at least once on Dreamcast, sometimes from console problems, sometimes from being hacked, and others from problems like this. XD This is one reason I stopped using console PSO. It's too unstable.

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  furrypaws on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:19 pm

By "change my Dreamcast's region", did you mean there's a way to do that in the settings, or did you mean buy a EU Dreamcast? Switching between the two settings would be a bit annoying, but better than having to use a bootdisc (could you reference me to one?) or modchip, or buying a whole 'nother Dreamcast. .-.

Also, if the game had to connect to the HL server even when connecting to SCHT, did you still need to have an account going, because that seems to sorta defeat the purpose of a free server. I'm guessing not, but why not? Again with my curiosity, sorry if I'm starting to become a bit of a hinderance. =/

Speaking (generally) about your characters, how far off is Giovanna from 200? Last I recall she was 193 and like 10 mil away? Go Ives go!

And EU serial is coming with the game. =D It shipped today, but from Great Britain. I hope it's here in less than two weeks. .-.

Finally, I might just have to test this out (without saving of course) because...the torrent decided to work!

Hah. I guess it was wrong about those 24 days, huh?

EDIT: Of course, the disc with the most memory I can find is 700 MiB. Figures. I bet my dad has some bigger ones down at work though, so I might be able to try it out tomorrow. Any idea where I could find an 800 MB CDR in a physical store? Best Buy doesn't seem to sell them.

If there was some specific detail I was missing (because I do recall hearing something about this), please let me know. .-.

furrypaws
Power Member
Power Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:17 pm

furrypaws wrote:By "change my Dreamcast's region", did you mean there's a way to do that in the settings, or did you mean buy a EU Dreamcast?
I believe it's possible to change your Dreamcast's region by opening it and doing some soldering and such. It's not a process for novices and not something you can do on a daily basis. It would allow you to turn a second Dreamcast into a PAL Dreamcast, though. Razz

furrypaws wrote:Switching between the two settings would be a bit annoying, but better than having to use a bootdisc (could you reference me to one?) or modchip, or buying a whole 'nother Dreamcast. .-.
The Codebreaker on my site should be able to boot EUv1.

furrypaws wrote:Also, if the game had to connect to the HL server even when connecting to SCHT, did you still need to have an account going, because that seems to sorta defeat the purpose of a free server. I'm guessing not, but why not? Again with my curiosity, sorry if I'm starting to become a bit of a hinderance. =/
Originally, if you had played on Sega's server and purchased a Hunter's License at least once, logging on here would work even if your HL had long since expired. Players using serials that had not been used on Sega would, however, receive the message saying they needed to buy a HL. However a few years ago, Sega removed the fee for playing JPv1 and JPv2, and when they put up a new HL server, this new server would blindly validate any serials, even if those serials had not been used online. As such, we were leeching off that benefit until the final Sega closure in 2007.

furrypaws wrote:Speaking (generally) about your characters, how far off is Giovanna from 200? Last I recall she was 193 and like 10 mil away? Go Ives go!
I think she's still about there. I have many characters, and I've never felt the need to reach level 200.

furrypaws wrote:Of course, the disc with the most memory I can find is 700 MiB. Figures. I bet my dad has some bigger ones down at work though, so I might be able to try it out tomorrow. Any idea where I could find an 800 MB CDR in a physical store? Best Buy doesn't seem to sell them.
You should burn that disc with an 80 minute / 700MB CD-R. Don't use an 800MB one, the Dreamcast probably won't be able to read it.

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  furrypaws on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:43 pm

I'd do the quote thing, but it's like 12:40 at night...er, in the morning, and I'm tired. x_x I'll just be kinda brief.

If that Codebreaker can do it, I'm not risking wasting a Dreamcast to try switching regions. As long as I would be buying another Dreamcast, I might as well buy a PAL one in the first place. >_>

Ah, that's cool (referring to 200 thing). I have just one character, so 200 is a more viable goal, not to mention I want a sense of closure on my GC char. Sure, I'll still play, but just not as often, and on other versions more, satisfied with my sole 200.

Finally, I must be missing something, but...how do I burn a 761.2 MB file to a 700 MB disc? Is it a special Disc Juggler operation, because I haven't been able to get access to my Windows for a while (but I'll try tomorrow).

furrypaws
Power Member
Power Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:16 am

furrypaws wrote:Ah, that's cool (referring to 200 thing). I have just one character, so 200 is a more viable goal, not to mention I want a sense of closure on my GC char. Sure, I'll still play, but just not as often, and on other versions more, satisfied with my sole 200.
Being level 200 is a bad thing on Ver.2 anyway since nobody will want to play with you.

furrypaws wrote:Finally, I must be missing something, but...how do I burn a 761.2 MB file to a 700 MB disc? Is it a special Disc Juggler operation, because I haven't been able to get access to my Windows for a while (but I'll try tomorrow).
Depending on the mode used to burn, CD-Rs can hold different amounts of data. The way Dreamcast discs are burned allows them to hold more than standard data CD-Rs.

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  furrypaws on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:43 am

I burned it! I had to use 8X, but it seems to work fine, and it will until I can get a lower speed (probably in a few days). I have a question. If I use a different VMU than my main one for a character, will I be able to go back to my main VMU for EU v1 when that gets here?

In otherwords, will I be able to start PSO v2 on VMU"B", then go back and play PSO v1 on VMU"A"? It asked me to input a serial or something, so I'm kinda curious.

And nobody wants to play with 200's? That's a drag. What are you going to do when that happens then? Make a new HUney or just play with it? I'm just one of those people who likes to play an RPG through until my character is finished. It gives me a sense of satisfaction, so I can relax on the game just the slightest bit (although I still end up playing excessively x_x).

furrypaws
Power Member
Power Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wing on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:11 am

Level 200 on V2 is practically a myth. Few have ever made it there successfully, let alone fully legit, which really is nearly impossible. So when a 200 is seen online, people assume it's a cheater, which is the case like 99.99999999999999% of the time. I have enough friends on V2, so I'm not bothered, but new people always come and go.

We've had quite a few people on recently... I've seen the ship get up to about 20+ past week or so.
Wing
Turbo Member
Turbo Member

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:57 pm

furrypaws wrote:I burned it! I had to use 8X, but it seems to work fine, and it will until I can get a lower speed (probably in a few days).
8X is probably slow enough, some burners won't even do 4X let alone 1 or 2X. New burners are designed to not support those modes sometimes since manufacturers assume nobody needs the ability to burn slowly...

furrypaws wrote:I have a question. If I use a different VMU than my main one for a character, will I be able to go back to my main VMU for EU v1 when that gets here?
In otherwords, will I be able to start PSO v2 on VMU"B", then go back and play PSO v1 on VMU"A"? It asked me to input a serial or something, so I'm kinda curious.
You can use Ver.1 and Ver.2 at the same time. You just need a Ver.1 character and a Ver.2 character, and a different VMU for both. If you load your Ver.1 character with Ver.2, it will tell you that you need to convert it to play Ver.2 with it. If you do, that character will no longer work in Ver.1. As long as you don't convert, you can use both.

furrypaws wrote:And nobody wants to play with 200's? That's a drag. What are you going to do when that happens then? Make a new HUney or just play with it? I'm just one of those people who likes to play an RPG through until my character is finished. It gives me a sense of satisfaction, so I can relax on the game just the slightest bit (although I still end up playing excessively x_x).
As Wing said, getting to 200 is pretty much impossible unless you're one of the OCD Japanese players. Ver.2 has a much harsher EXP curve as well as lower enemy EXP and harder monsters, and there's no good quests that can be spammed for insane EXP. Reaching 200 is a long and arduous process.

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  furrypaws on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:20 pm

Gee, that's a drag. More the whole 200 phobia than the process it takes to get there. As awfully tedious and painstaking it would be to invest that much time getting there, the only thing that would be worse would be being constantly avoided because of it.

Also, I got my first non sports/driving game. Sonic Adventure 2. Kind of ironic, because that was the one I wanted the least, but hey, at least it's something. It seems like the biggest difference is in the Chao Garden and the controls. I don't know if it's the controller I'm using, missing the little notches in the Gamecube controller, or if Sega just cleaned up the controls a bit when they ported to Gamecube, but something about the controls seems a little sloppier, and it took a little getting used to. I can handle it, though.

I also decided I would wait for V1 to arrive before trying V2. v1 either shipped yesterday or the day before, but it shipped from Britain. x_x; I'm just hoping another game gets here tomorrow, because I'll be busy catching up work Sunday and school starts again Monday. .-.

One last question. Is the cdi file Disc Juggler only, or would I be able to burn it with any program? In otherwords, can I burn it like a regular ISO, or do I need Disc Juggler?

Right now, I'd like to express my profound gratitude to you Ives, for answering all of my (endless) questions. I'm sure it must've been mind-numbing, but I'm glad you did. ^_^

furrypaws
Power Member
Power Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:30 pm

DiscJuggler images can be burned with any program that supports CDI images, namely the DJ trial, Alcohol 120%, and BootDreams. It can't be burned with programs that don't support the format because it is not an ISO image.

Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top