Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unofficial resolution increase & potential way to stop closing upon minimizing?

3 posters

Go down

Unofficial resolution increase & potential way to stop closing upon minimizing? Empty Unofficial resolution increase & potential way to stop closing upon minimizing?

Post  Melkane Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:37 pm

For starters I like to play my PC games by outputing them to my HDTV. However PSO is at a horribly low resolution and looks like crap. I have all it's options for graphics maxed but there is no option to increase the resolution which is lame cause even games from the mid 90s have had really high resolution options for future use. I figured with such a hardcore fanbase perhaps someone has come up with a way to increase the resolution unofficially? Hopefully.

Secondly I have lost progress in my offline quests now a couple times due to the game just completely closing when trying to minimize (once when I minimized as I was going to mess with my controller pad and once from an auto update on my PC kicking) This is a very annoying issue and a dangerous one for losing lots of progress since this version of the game doesn't save after doing anything. Is there some patch or work around for this?

Melkane

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Back to top Go down

Unofficial resolution increase & potential way to stop closing upon minimizing? Empty Re: Unofficial resolution increase & potential way to stop closing upon minimizing?

Post  Aleron Ives Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:35 am

There is no way to change the resolution. PSO PC is a direct port from the Dreamcast version which runs at 640x480. Sega did not code the game to support higher resolutions.

As for the game closing upon Alt + Tab, Sega also deliberately coded this behaviour. Supposedly it was to help prevent memory leaks, but the main reason was probably to stop the use of trainers and memory editors (like that worked, heh). To enable the ability to switch programs while playing PSO, you have to use a window mode hack. However if you do this the mouse controls won't work anymore, unless you use one of the patches which leaves the mouse enabled.

The mouse is usually disabled in window mode because PSO never loses focus, so your mouse movements in other programs make your character walk and attack even when the window isn't selected. Nobody bothered to make a proper window mode hack for the game.
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Unofficial resolution increase & potential way to stop closing upon minimizing? Empty Re: Unofficial resolution increase & potential way to stop closing upon minimizing?

Post  Melkane Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks for the response. Sad It's what I figured. I searched all the downloads you have here and when I didn't see anything for resolution I pretty much figured there wouldn't be anything, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask anyways.

I'm actually surprised a bit that no one took up the cause to do something about that. Usually with a cult game such as this one there is some hardcore fan who is great with hacking/coding that goes out of their way to pick up some slack were Sega left off.

Melkane

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  turey Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:55 am

I'd love to fix this and the off-center mouse in window mode, and I've got quite a bit of programming experience. Any idea where I'd start? Is DeathRabbit even still around?

turey

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleron Ives Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:18 pm

deathrabbit never re-registered when we moved to the new forum over at SCHTServ. There's no way to change stuff like this, apparently nobody believes that with just re-engineering we can make any significant changes. It seems like everyone agrees that we need the source code, and since we'll never get anything from Sega we're screwed. Evil or Very Mad
Aleron Ives
Aleron Ives
Socially-Devoid Member
Socially-Devoid Member

Number of posts : 2200
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://psopalace.funurl.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down